I Learn Things the Hard Way

Walnuts. They used to be harmless, but now it appears that they are my death nut. I used to eat them and just get a scrapped up feeling in my mouth, but it's recently escalated. A few months ago I ate two slices of walnut bread for breakfast and got really sick in every way - bad stomach, coughing, the works. You'd think I would take the experience and avoid future encounters with any walnuts.

I'm a slow learner.

On Saturday night we went out to my husband's work holiday party at the Grand Geneva in Lake Geneva - it was lovely and really nice. There was a four course meal and the second course was a salad with candied walnuts. I thought in my head, "you know, you probably shouldn't eat those," but then some weird part of me was like, "they're on the salad and they look good - eat them!" So, I did.

Disaster. We ended up having to leave the party early. There I was, playing Blackjack with fake money, when I  suddenly became extremely overheated with dry mouth and an intense sick stomach, and nearly blacked out. The feeling didn't go away for a full 24 hours. I even had to lay down yesterday afternoon and leave my husband in charge of the kids. Oddly enough, they let me sleep it off and I was finally feeling better last night after taking it very easy.

Hopefully the next time I think a little walnut on a brownie or in a salad won't be a big deal, I will remember this experience.

In Knitting News....I'm nearly finished with my sweater! I'm on pocket one of 2 - and then I need to block the pieces so I can sew them together and add a finishing band. If all goes according to plan, it should be finished this week.



I was hoping to be further.... but, the walnuts....

In Other News.... I'm watching Mercy Street and Victoria on PBS Masterpiece. Both really good television. Mercy Street seems to have found it's groove and Victoria is just spectacular.

I'm reading Alexander Hamilton by Ron Chernow and Broken Harbor by Tana French. She is my new favorite author. I never really read murder mysteries before, but I get totally absorbed in her novels.

And.... it's birthday week in my house. My husband's birthday is today and Kid 2's is tomorrow. No more little kids in my house. A six-year-old and an almost 9-year-old. I need a baby fix soon.


Now that the walnuts are out of my system.... I can get back on track for this week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lost Art of Blogging

The End of Summer

JIM hat- or - double pointed needles for the first time