Happy New Year, It's a Cold One...

"Time to let go of the old one.... It's justified. It's a Brand new Year!" (lyrics to a song for the late 1990's or early 2000's - I can't remember who sings it or any other part of the song or album, but I always remember this line).

2017 brought a lot of illness for me, some frustration, stress, sadness, and some major challenges.

However it brought a lot of good too. One of my biggest accomplishments this year is that I believe I succeeded in being more grateful every day. For everything. When I didn't want to get dressed up and go out I reminded myself that I was incredibly lucky to have so many wonderful people in my life that wanted to spend time with me.

And I changed my lifestyle to a working from home mother - which has changed me for the better.

I ended 2017 with a head cold, a date night with my husband despite the head cold, a breakdown after hosting my largest family party to date and then a wonderfully special quiet night with some of my favorite people on NYE (when we rang in the new year at 8:07 (per tradition) the 6 kids broke into the National Anthem in a hilarious Christmas Vacation tribute). I got lots of snuggles from my 5-year-old and some girl time with my 8-year-old. And all the food was so rich and delicious that I feel super fat right about now.

Here are the last knits I have to post from 2016:

Toe-Up socks for me.... They had been on the needle for a few weeks (months) waiting to attach the afterthought heel and I didn't feel there was enough yarn for heels. After completing one, that turned out to be true, so I dug into my stash and threw on some gray heels. They are soft, wash up well, and have a great personality (they tell jokes).


Fingerless Mitts for Kid 2: He's been asking for a pair. I was pretty pleased with myself because for the first time in my life I didn't use a pattern. They are tiny, because he is 5 for a few more weeks. I know I can make him another pair when his little hands grow. He loves them, and that's what I hoped for.


Ear Warmer for Kid 1: Fun and Easy little knit. I was able to knit it up in a few hours and used buttons from my collection. She's been eyeing the rose button for a while, so I thought it would be a nice surprise for her.

As for resolutions this year, I have a few.

The first two are the same as I've had for a few years now....
1) Buy no yarn. Knit through your stash. (Exceptions made for gift cards or if making a gift and nothing in the stash will work.)

2) Buy no books. Read through your collection! (I stocked up on kindle books before 1/1/17 - there is also the library).

3) Set aside anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours for writing at least 5 days per week. It can be fiction, blogging or journaling, but it has to happen.

4) Read 50 books

5) Exercise when I can. Try to run 10K by next December - no race pressure (I don't really like crowds, a thing I have known about myself, but sometimes forget). I feel better when I move. So, do things that make me feel better.

6) Go on more than 2 dates with my husband in 2017.

 Cheers!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lost Art of Blogging

The End of Summer

JIM hat- or - double pointed needles for the first time