JIM hat- or - double pointed needles for the first time

James Foley was executed in Syria 2 weeks ago. You might find this bit of information odd for me to add to my "knitting" blog, but we are both Northwestern graduates and I work at his other Alma Mater. I didn't know him, but I've been following the Free James Foley site since news of his captivity was announced in 2012. This project will be named after Jim. I think I'll just call it my JIM hat.

This hat is from a Craftsy class pattern (Sidebar: I love, love, LOVE Craftsy.com), One-skein Accessories: The Chevron Collection (instructor Aurora Sisneros).  And, I'm actually loving this pattern. This is my third hat, but I'm considering it my first hat since the others were pretty awful. Both in black bulky yarn and just a boring old garter stitch pattern. This one has been a fun challenge for me to knit. Some might call it easy, but so far, only dishcloths have been easy for me on the first try.

I ripped the hat out once. I had some trouble with my stitches slipping off my double pointed needles and I just couldn't recover. It's my first time, and I don't hate the pattern, so I did a re-boot.

New skills:
using DPNs (using double pointed needles)
cabling without a cable needle (which = AWESOME)


Back to my JIM hat:

I think I'm going to keep this one for me. I like how it turned out, and I think if I make it again, say for someone else, I'll use a darker yarn. I finished this hat last weekend and I'm pretty happy with it. In the class, Aurora (the online instructor) demonstrated a trick to cable without using a cable needle, and I have to say that I loved this method. Not only do cable needles intimidate me a little as it is, but they are awkward in a hat pattern, so this was useful. It also created a nice rhythm in the pattern. This hat came together nicely - and that's kind of the thing about knitting for me, I'm still sort of amazed when I actually create something the way it was intended.  I have no photography skills, so here it is:



And note, my tiny model is kid 2. He's three and the hat looks good on him. It is an adult size hat and looks pretty good on me as well, I'm just not as cute of a model.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lost Art of Blogging

The End of Summer